Join us to discuss the opportunities and risks of AI technologies with leading experts across industry, academia, civil society, and policy.
Around the world, governments are competing to get the most out of AI technologies to improve the delivery of services and improve private sector productivity. Balancing the opportunities and risks in AI technologies will be one of the most important public policy questions this decade.
Please join the Internet Society – Canada Chapter and leading Canadian and international experts from across industry, academia, civil society, and policy to discuss these topics.
WHEN: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 – 1:30 pm onward followed by a cocktail reception
WHERE: Rideau Club, 99 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON, K1P 6B9
AGENDA AND SPEAKERS
1:30 – 2:40 pm | Panel I: Crossing the ‘Valley of Death’ in AI R&D policy: how can Canada harness its strengths in fundamental AI research to realize greater economic growth and higher productivity?
- Mark Hazelden, Senior Director, Brookfield Institute for Innovation + Entrepreneurship
- Sara El-Hanfy, Head of Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, Innovate UK
- Robert Asselin, Senior Vice President, Policy, Business Council of Canada
Moderator: Marc-Etienne Ouimette, Global Lead, AI Policy, AWS
2:50 – 3:45 pm | Panel II: Stepping up to the plate: are Canada’s government institutions ready for what’s coming in AI?
- Kevin Allison, Vice President, Albright-Stonebridge Group
- Sana Khareghani, Former Head of UK Government Office for Artificial Intelligence
- Anne Marie Engtoft Larsen, Denmark’s Tech Ambassador
- Honourable Colin Deacon, Senate of Canada (Nova Scotia)
Moderator: Brent Arnold, Internet Society – Canada Chapter & Gowling WLG
3:50 – 4:45 pm | Panel III – AI regulation: how do we control risks while opening markets, and spur adoption for low and medium-risk AI?
- Cameron F. Kerry, Brookings Institute
- Ashley Casovan, Executive Director, Responsible AI Institute
- Robert Atkinson, Founder & President, Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF)
Moderator: Nicole Foster, Director of AWS Global AI/ML and Canada Public Policy, AWS
5:00 – 7:00 pm | Cocktail Reception